Are you a girl in
grade 6, 7, or 8
who is thinking about
Do you enjoy
math and science?
Do you like computers, puzzles or working
with your hands?
If so, then this
conference is for you!
"I thought it was very cool that you have something completely devoted to girls."
- EYH alumna
Careers that you can explore include:
- Animal Science
- Animal scientists use math, keen observation and laboratory skills to learn more about the animal world. Veterinarians help keep animals healthy, and learn more about the diseases that affect them. Careers in vet and animal sciences can be found from the farm to the zoo.
- Applied Math
- People who like math can work in many areas. They may run a business; work in the stock market; design new products; or use polls to find out what people think. Math is used in every career and the demand for people with math skills will continue to be high in the years ahead.
- Biology and Life Science
- Today's biologists study everything from disease-causing bacteria to new ways to produce food. Biologists of the future will combine an appreciation for the living world with the breakthroughs of biotechnology to make the world a better place.
- Computers in Science
- Recently, a computer named Watson beat two humans playing the game show Jeopardy!. In our daily lives, computers are everywhere; in science, computers are used to communicate information to scientists and the public at large, gather data, predict new trends (like the weather), and find cures for diseases.
- Engineering and Building Trades
- Engineers work together to design, create, build, improve, invent --- everything from heart valves and hand-held computers to energy-efficient vehicles and flood control structures. Building trades include architects, plumbers, welders and contractors.
- Environmental Science
- People in this field use the biological and physical sciences to keep water and air clean and to protect valuable natural resources. People who understand how to preserve and improve the quality of our environment work in may places from cities and towns, to parks and wild areas - even on the ocean!
- Health and Medicine
- Health care workers are found in hospitals and clinics, schools, laboratories and anywhere people need advice about staying healthy. This field includes medical researchers, doctors, therapists, medical technicians and many other careers.
- Physical Sciences
- From the rocks of Mars to the inside of the atom, people who work in the physical sciences help us learn more about our world and universe. Physical sciences include astronomy, chemistry, physics, geology and meteorology.